MMS Gateway - Plivo
The Plivo MMS Gateway currently delivers MMS messages to USA and Canadian phone numbers. You can use the following methods for attaching media files to your outgoing messages:
- Public URL: simply enter the publicly accessible URL for each media file that you wish to send. You would typically upload the file (jpeg, png etc) to a server and determine the URL to that file and enter this into the URL field when sending an MMS message.
- Gateway Direct: fmMMS will upload the file stored in the FileMaker container field directly to Plivo. Media uploaded and sent to customers through MMS is saved inside Plivo's system for 1 year. Unused media (Media that is uploaded but not used for sending MMS ) will be cleaned up every 6 hours.
You can get further information on supported media files and limitations here:
You can get incoming messages/replies to your Plivo number into the fmMMS file via the use of Webhooks to have Plivo push these automatically to fmMMS. Using Webhooks is the preferred method as it saves you from having to poll/check for any new messages - with Webhooks new messages are forwarded to fmMMS automatically by Plivo as they are received.
Plivo Webhooks Setup
To receive incoming MMS messages to your Plivo number, including replies to previously sent messages, you will need to use the supplied WebhooksIncomingMessages.php webhook file to act as the webhook receiver. See our Webhooks guide for what you need to do host the WebhooksIncomingMessages.php file on your chosen web server. Once you have the publicly accessible URL for this file you can enter this into your Plivo account settings as follows:
- login to your Plivo account via their website
- from the left navigation menu click Applications
- click on the Application you wish to enter the Callback URL for
- enter the URL in the Message URL field under Message
- select POST for the HTTP Method
- click Update Application
The following screenshot shows an Application with the Message URL field where you enter your URL: